Friday, October 19, 2012

Movie Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Last night after book club (which I always love!) a bookie friend of mine and I went to go see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. 

Now I have to admit that I have not read the book.  But my friend had, and so wanted to see how the movie adaptation compared.  And from the previews I was also interested in the movie.

Here is the summary from IMDB: An introvert freshman is taken under the wings of two seniors who welcome him to the real world.

That's it...it really tells you nothing about the film.  So here's the scoop.  This movie is not a light fun movie.  It isn't just about an introvert, but about a group of High School kids that are all dealing with some serious life issue stuff.  Things that make them outsiders, or make them feel that way anyway.  

Yes, the main character is a freshman that finds friendship and connects with seniors and NO one else -- except maybe his advanced placement English teacher.  He doesn't even seem to fit in his family.  But it is about so much more.  It is touching, it is tough, and it is also real. 

Here's a link to a pretty great clip in the movie:  http://www.imdb.com/rg/s/4/title/tt1659337/#lb-vi674145561


Although I wouldn't give it a top picks rating simply because it's not a movie I would own and watch over and over, but I would give it a Reaching New Heights because of how well done I felt it was.

One perk of "Perks" is that the screenplay was also written by the author.  So the story held true to the characters and plot of the novel.

I think the acting in this movie was pretty darn superb. Each and every character down to the minor ones were completely believeable in their own personal journeys.  It was really quite refreshing to see.

So if you are in the mood for something that will make you think about hard things this one is for you.  Just a warning for my readers -- cause I think I know many of you well this movie deals with some adult themes with regards to sexuality pretty much on all levels.  But the movie itself is not explicitly sexual and does a good job of letting you know what's going on/has happened without showing too much.  


1 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome review!
I really wanna see this movie already but it only comes out in australia in very late november :(
i've read the book and LOVED it so so much. :)
i think i heard that the movie was going to be rated R so they had to cut out the clinic scene w/ Candice.