Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Signing and Review -- Natalie Whipple's TRANSPARENT

Okay, so this was forever ago, and I've been a horrible blogger, but I wanted to post because Natalie is made of awesome and her launch was so much fun!

Here's some of the snippets from her launch.  As usual remember I write these down as close to actual quotes as possible, but sometimes they get a little off. 

  • Dreams, i can see them but I didn't know how to achieve them (talking about writing)
  • It's like stars.  When they're far away they're nice to look at and you're not sure what they're like up close, and that can be nice.  
  • I went to college -- go for your dreams but have a back up plan was my mantra

 
  • Finished college and all I wanted to do was write, so I found myself at home with my baby and decided to start writing
  • I didn't know how to catch my dream.  I thought it might just fall out of the sky and into my lap. They don't do that.  You have to go out and get them.
  • Slowly I was ablet to catch this star thing and start bringing it down to me, but it was a lot of work.
  • This book was difficult (talking about TRANSPARENT) my agent said it all had to be re-written, so 1 chapter at a time I wrote it and sent it to my writer's group thinking they'd hate it, but they didn't.  I was reeling that star in slowly.
  • When I finished edits it sold to a publisher in 6 weeks, and that's when the dream got really real.  The star, the dream, got so real and so close.  
  • It's (talking about the dream) not just a pretty sparkly thing in the sky.  It's a huge burning ball of gas that could kill me, but I can't take it back because at that point gravity took over.
  • But I'm really glad I went for my dreams even though it's been pretty much the hardest thing in my life.  Don't let that stop you!
Isn't she awesome!  Now is her book awesome?  Read on!

TRANSPARENT

by Natalie Whipple
Paperback, 350 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by HarperTeen
 
Placement in the Pile:  Reaching New Heights
 
Summary:
Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.

Review:
Think x-men meets mobsters in a dystopian world.  Yeah, it's cool.  
 
Natalie Whipple does a great job drawing you in instantly.  Fiona is a believable, likeable character.  A teenage girl with all the normal insecurities we can all relate to, even though she's invisible.  In fact her literal invisibility is what gives her the biggest connection to a real life teenager.  Don't we all feel invisible sometimes?
 
The pacing of the book was constant and I loved every minute.  
 
If you're in the mood for a good summer read this one is for you!  I am very excited to see what else we get from Natalie!  She's one to watch!  

1 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Agreed that this book really draws you in-it didn't totally work for me but I loved the writing and want to check out more of Whipple's writing